How To Avoid Holiday Pet Hazards in 9 Easy Steps

Home / Cats / How To Avoid Holiday Pet Hazards in 9 Easy Steps


Christmas Decorations beginning appearing as early as October. There’s no way to avoid it. You have have even bought a Christmas tree by then… you begin seeing Christmas lights glow everywhere you go.  Time to prepare for the frenzy!

At Petable, we’re always looking out for what’s best for you AND your pets! For that reason, we couldn’t  miss out on sharing some tips to ensure this Christmas will be filled with the merriment the Holidays deserve!

Keep in mind that some goodies are not that good!

We all feel a bit more generous at Christmas, even with our pets. Frequently, we end up sharing with them many of our Christmas treats. The problem is sharing too much, or even sharing some foods that are downright toxic to them! So, if you are feeling bighearted, just share cuddles and some tender love and care and stick to your routine foodwise!

1. Bones

Although it might seem natural to give a dog a bone, the truth is that bones can cause your pet to gag and choke and often it can lead to gastrointestinal obstructions or lacerations that are not very pleasant to resolve and usually require surgery! Please think twice before presenting your pet with bones, you don’t want to end up in the hospital during Christmas!

2. Greasy meals and table scraps

Greasy meals and table scraps? They are ill-advised. Not only can they lead to gastrointestinal problems (vomit or diarrhea). Overfeeding your pet with greasy foods can cause pancreatitis – inflammation of the pancreas, an organ with a very important role in digestion and hormone production! Earlier this month we collected our favorite homemade dog biscuit recipes specially for dogs: you might want to look them up, and show  your dog some love with appropriate treats!

3. Grapes and raisins

NO! NO! AND NO! Tell the kids and everyone visiting that giving grapes or raisins to your pets can cause problems! Even in small doses, grapes and raisins can be dangerous! There is evidence that they can cause acute kidney problems that may endanger your pet’s life.

4. Chocolate

Chocolate is irresistible for most of us and the same goes for our pets. The danger of chocolate ingestion is related to the type of chocolate and its total amount of fat and cocoa. Our pets cannot metabolize a substance present in cocoa (theobromine) and chocolate can often lead to vomit and diarrhea, excitation and in serious cases – tremors or convulsions! Usually, dark chocolate contains a bigger amount of cocoa and therefore it is considered more dangerous. If your pet decides to go on a chocolate spree, seek veterinary advice and let them know what type of chocolate and how much your pet has eaten.

5. The Christmas tree

Remember that our pets are curious and they will surely feel the urge to admire the Christmas tree. Whether you have a dog, a cat or even a curious ferret, the Christmas tree can be like an amusement park to them. Ribbons, hanging decorations that swing at every strike of the paw or tail-swipe, flashing lights that look perfect to pull and chew and all those boxes and crunchy papers to unwrap. Don’t be surprised if you catch your cat climbing your tree, hiding in it or playing with the decorations. Make sure the tree is stable and will not fall down and injure your pet or anyone else.

6. Cats and strings

We know it’s a struggle but do not allow your pet to play with the decorations, particularly if yours is a chewing enthusiast! The major concern is your pet swallowing any objects. It is very common for cats to play with strings or even the ribbons on presents; they tend to bite and chew them, and often they can swallow them. The hazard of playing with these strings or linear objects is that frequently they can cause your pet to suffocate or cause gastrointestinal obstructions that commonly require surgery.

7. Christmas lights and decorations

Dogs require some supervision, too, when it comes to Christmas lights and decorations.  They will probably look at the Christmas lights and decorations as delicious treats! Playing, pulling or biting the Christmas lights can lead to electric burns of the paws or mouth and that means immediate veterinary attention.

8. Holiday plants and flowers

Be aware that some plants and flowers you might have at home this holiday season are potential hazardous. They can fill your place with color and they can be quite beautiful to admire, however plants such as holly, mistletoe and poinsettias are toxic when eaten. Kissing under the mistletoe is great, but if your pets decide to chew one of these love-bringing plants, you might be in serious trouble.

9. Caution with medication!

Extremely important – do not leave any medication lying around as your pet will probably find it. A lot of pharmaceuticals we take for ourselves are simply not suitable for our pets, even common headache pills or cold medicine. Anytime you suspect your pet might have ingested any type of medication that wasn’t subscribed for them, call your veterinary surgeon immediately for advice on what to do!

Now that you know how to tackle the holiday hazards and you’re all set to prevent them, enjoy the Holiday Season and have a Very Merry (and safe) Christmas!

Author: Petable Team

appstore playstore



Leave a Comment